Communication, Problem-Solving, International Leadership
Independent Mediator, Negotiator, and Group Facilitator.
(05.2013 – current)
Mediation training from American Arbitration Association, Humboldt Mediation Services, Clingendael Institute and advanced training from Harvard School of Law. Training in international diplomacy from Geneva School of Diplomacy, Geneva, Switzerland. International mediation, for political and trade disputes, with a special interest in long-term solutions for post-conflict societies. International Mediation Institute certification process will be completed in 2018. Group facilitation for workshops, retreats, and organizational crisis response. Creative program design, mediation techniques, and an unwavering ability to keep a group engaged, on topic and on schedule.
Co-Owner Import/Export businesses, Portland, OR and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
(01.2006 – current)
Start up and daily supervision of two separate import/export businesses operating from BsAs to the US and Europe. The import/export commodities are: beef, wine, and solar equipment. Full shipping and logistics responsibility, trade negotiations, and sales. Oversaw a 20 person team, created fun employee enrichment program. As of 01/2013, current responsibilities are limited to quarterly oversight of solar distribution company.
Contract Database Merge Specialist
(4.2004 – 01.2006)
Assisted various companies and banks in data merges, including database reformatting, troubleshooting, and post-error data analysis. I specialized in tackling failed data merges on a deadline, and communicating with nontechnical management.
Settlement Specialist for Poorman Douglas, Beaverton, OR.
(10.2003 – 4.2004)
Recruited to process corporate claims for eligibility and award for national anti-trust settlement in the technology sector. Acted as specialist liaison to corporate attorney groups, administered claimant database, managed multi-national corporation claimant accounts.
Computer Programmer/Application Developer, Poorman Douglas.
(9.2001 – 10.2003)
Created and maintained projects for confidential data processing. Managed client implementation, supervised junior team members, wrote extensive client support and internal training technical documentation, negotiated contracts, and initiated a two-year retroactive client history filing system. This position required meeting court mandated deadlines, and resolving system errors quickly enough to not delay the continuous data processing schedule.
Onsite contract editing, customer assistance, and class action lawsuit claims analysis, Poorman Douglas.
(10.1999 – 9.2001)
Class action settlement administration for two internationally unprecedented civil rights settlements. Edited adjudications, assisted international and minority claimants, reviewed claims for eligibility, assisted class counsel, tracked case media coverage, updated claimant database, facilitated appeals, noticed class on deadline changes.
President/International Promotions Officer of W.I.S.H., a non-profit disability services center, Trinidad, West Indies.
(09.1998 – 09.1999)
Coordinated international fundraising and donations, organized and performed foundation presentations, chaired board meetings, originated media outreach, approved dog placements, oversaw management, worked with legal team to assist recipients, and lobbied for public access. Wrote grants, maintained donor database, approved budget, reviewed financial documents for non-profit status compliance.
Founder and Acting Manager of W.I.S.H., a non-profit Service Dog and disability services center, Trinidad, West Indies.
(09.1997 – 06.1998)
Created Service Dog for the disabled training program. Hired trainers, wrote procedures, built community partnerships, and operated daily functions of the training center. Set up the office, subject-alphabetic filing system, computer billing, website, and the application processing method. Envisioned and coordinated fundraising events, including Savannah Dog Day, a dog walk/run with training and agility competitions. Coordinated 100+ volunteers. Worked with board to develop mission, goals, charter, and international non-profit status.
- Panelist for the 15th anniversary of Resolution 1325 at the UN, addressing how to modernize conflict response.
- Participant in HIVE, Global Leaders Program.
- International Fundraising Committee and UN special sessions representative, Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Treasurer, WILPF-US.
- Hostelling International 100 year anniversary keynote speaker, and regular disabled traveler expert presenter.
- Repeat presenter on disabled mobility for global urban planning conference, Europe/US.
- Organization representative for World Affairs Council speakers group.
- Successful petition asking Craig’s List to add a “Wheelchair Accessible” option to world-wide housing listings. 8000+ signatures.
- Women’s Initiative to Stop HIV peer educator and outreach team, HIV Alliance, Certificate.
- Red Cross/CERT Emergency response, disaster relief training, 80 hrs. Certificates.
- International human rights delegate to Azerbaijan, Central Asia.
- Nationally selected delegate for disabled leaders exchange, Mexico.
- Attendee, Mediators Beyond Borders International conference, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Attendee, Women Stop War conference, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Active member of Beyond Limits, Civil Mediation Council, Disabled Persons International, Mediators Across Borders, GimpGirl, UN Enable, Women In International Security, International Wildlife Rehabilitators, and Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom.
Course Work and Studies
- Mediation Training: American Arbitration Association, Humboldt Mediation Services, Clingendael Institute, and advanced training from Harvard School of Law; Certificates.
- Winter School of International Diplomacy(completed) and Executive Masters in International Relations(in progress), Geneva School of Diplomacy/MIIS.
- Public Speaking; Certificate.
- Intercultural Communications; Certificates.
- Political Science.
- Global Economics.
- Behavioral Motivation Theory; Certificate.
- General Systems Theory.
- Theories of Conflict Resolution.
- Movement Organizing; Certificate.
- Nonviolent Communication; Certificates.
- Social Entrepreneurship and Global Leadership; Certificate.
- Homeowner Safe Lending Practices and Foreclosure Mediation, Neighborworks; Certificates.
- Wildlife Rehabilitation; 100 hrs.; license.
- Marine Biology and sanctuary conservation, multiple courses.
- Teaching English to refugees of conflict; Certificate.
- Radio Broadcasting Production; Certificate, FCC license.
- Journalism and Ethics.
- News Writing and Editing.
- Grant Writing; Certificates.
- Java, Basic, VB, C, XTML Unix, all DB sys.
- Conversational Spanish. Beginning Dutch, French, Farsi.